Monday, November 13, 2006

A Very Sad Day

It breaks my heart to have to report that Mr. Cook and I have just returned from our first Cambodian funeral.

Unfortunately Lin's injuries were too severe for his body to repair and he has passed on. A group of us traveled from Siem Reap this morning to Kompong Kdei, the village Lin grew up in, and took part in his funeral. Despite the language barrier, it was a beautiful Buddhist ceremony and it was truly an honor to be able to be there and say goodbye to our friend.

Fila, our friend and favorite tuk tuk driver, was at the ceremony and explained to us that the belief is that for the next 100 days, Lin's spirit will travel around doing the things that he loved the most. At the end of those 100 days, there will be another ceremony to encourage his spirit to move on. I personally thought that was one of the better life after death explanations I have heard, and can only hope that everywhere it goes Lin's spirit is filled with happiness and joy.

I know we, and everyone whose lives he has been a part of, will miss him tremendously.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a terrible thing that has happened makes you realise how precious everyone in your life is. All my love to you Lin, rest in peace, best wishes for whatever is next for you! Love to you all. Lou Lou x x x

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Lin's spirit will spend time with all of you who loved him during the next 100 days. I too feel it to be a wonderful way at life after death.
Lots of love to all.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home